December 18, 2009 Dubai
I will give you today another chutney recipe today which can be used with dosa, idli or whatever you like. So here is recipe for it:
Bengal Gram (Channa Dal) Chutney
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serving: 4 persons
Bengal Gram (Channa Dal): 1/2 cup
Dry red chilies: 8-10 or as per taste
Jeera: 1/2 spoon
Tamarind: a small lemon size
Coconut: 1/4 cup (optional, can be avoided if you want to reduce calorie count)
Oil: 1/2 tsp
Salt: As per taste
Mustered seed:1/2 tsp
Broken Black gram(Urad Dal):1/2 tsp
Asafetida powder: a pinch
Curry leaves: 5-6
• Soak the tamarind in enough water and take pulp of it after 25-20 minutes.
• Heat oil in a pan and fry Bengal gram (channa dal), chilies till the nice roast smell reaches to your nose and also turns to little red in color.
• After this soak all these for 15 minutes in water.
• Then first grind coconut in mixer, if you are adding it to chutney or else you can directly put Bengal gram (channa dal) chilies and jeera in mixer and grind it with tamarind pulp.
• Add salt and grind it again for a minute.
• Water can be added as required.
• For Seasoning,add oil in frying pan and put mustered seed,broken black gram dal,curry leaves and asafetida .
• Fry these all till the mustard seeds crack well and season the chutney.
• Serve with dosa, idli,appam, uttaapam or whatever you like.