December 22, 2009 Dubai
Today I will give you recipes for dal which you can prepare for your daily routine food. There are basically two variety of dal which you can prepare quickly, one is Red Gram dal (Toor Dal) and the other one is Green Gram dal ( Mung Dal).I will tell you how to prepare both of these. So here are recipes for it:
Red Gram Dal (Toor Dal)
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15minutes
Serving: 4 persons
Red Gram Dal-1 cup
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Salt- as per taste
Onion-1 medium size (Chopped)
Green Chilies-2 (Chopped)
Dry red chilies-2
Mustard Seed (Rai dana)-1/2 tsp
Cumin Seed (Jeera)-1/2 tsp
Asafetida Powder (Hing)-a pinch
Refined oil-1 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing.
• Wash and soak the dal for ½ an hour.
• After ½ an hour, cook the dal in pressure cooker,by adding salt and turmeric powder, for 10 minutes.
• Then heat oil in a pan.
• Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds into it and allow them to crack.
• Then add red chilies, green chilies onion and asafetida and fry them well till onion becomes light pinkish in color.
• Add this seasoning to dal and garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice or roti.
One bowl dal i.e, 150 ml contains approximately 130 to 135 calories.
• Always wash the dal and soaked it before cooking since this method takes lesser time for cooking.
• Don throw the soaked water of dal since the water contains lot of protein and minerels, so cook the dal with soaked water itself.
• While cooking dal in pressure cooker you can put a drop of gingly oil into it this also helps dal to cook faster.
• You can add a tomato also while seasoning the dal .For this when onion turns to pinkish in color add cut tomato and fry it for 2 min .Add this seasoning to dal for making it tastier.