December 30, 2009
We will talk about another delicious south Indian chutney recipe today. This is my husband’s one of favorite dish. I learnt this from my mother in law who is very good cook.
I belong to east India basically and my husband is from south India. After my marriage, she was my mother in law who taught me lots of south Indian recipe and today I am very comfortable to preparing south Indian dishes.
Since my family eats dosa idli as their main dishes, this chutney really goes well with all south Indian dishes and even it is very tasty with roti or paratha. This is called as takalli(tomato) tokku(Chutney) in Tamil Nadu.
So this recipe is dedicated to my mother in law Mrs. Sulochana Krishnaswamy.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Serving: 4 persons
Oil-2 tbs or as required
Broken Black Gram (Urad) Dal-2 tsp
Bengal Gram (Channa) Dal-2 tsp
Dry Red Chilies-3-4
Curry Leaves (Curry Patta)-few for seasoning
Mustard (Rai) Seeds-2tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
• Boil nearly 1 liter water in wide mouth pan.
• Once the water starts boiling add washed tomatoes and cover it with lead for 5 minutes
• Turn off the flame and remove tomatoes from water and allow it cool down.
• Then remove the skin of tomatoes and grind it with green chilies.
• Allow mustard seed to crack and then add asafetida in this.
• Put grinded tomato paste in this and allow it to boil.
• Once it starts boiling then add chili powder and turmeric powder in this.
• Keep the gas flame in medium heat.
• Keep steering the chutney in every few second or else it might get burn.
• Once the chutney becomes thick then add salt in this and allow it to boil again because once you put salt tomato will leave little water in pan.
• Boil till you reach the chutney thickness as you desire. Then switch off the gas.
• This chutney you can serve with roti, paratha, rice, dosa idli, vada etc.
Calorie Count: The 2 TBS of this chutney contains 30-40 calories approximately.
• If you want to keep chutney for three four days then add little more oil in this while seasoning the chutney.
• This chutney gives very hot & spicy taste and if you want to reduce it then you can reduce the quantity of green chilies and red chili powder.
• If you want to prepare instant tomato rice then with a cup of cooked hot rice add 4-5 tbs of this chutney and your tomato rice is ready to eat.
• If you want to reduce the calorie count in this then use only 2 tsp oil and prepare chutney in non stick pan but remember to keep steering the chutney in every 30 second.
• One more very important thing you should remember about this chutney is that when the tomato paste will start getting thick it will start spreading in your kitchen and stove wall. So you can put a lead on the pan covering half.
• Even you should be careful while steering chutney it may come on you also.
PHIR BHI YAAR MEHANAT KA FHAL MEETHA HOTA HAIN LEKIN YAHAN CHATPATA HOTA HAIN SOTRY THIS CHUTNEY.BELIEVE ME IT IS VERY TASTY.