January 03, 2010
Now it’s time of another south Indian healthy recipe i.e., curd rice. You can eat curd rice in any kind of illness even in cold and cough provided the curd is fresh.In my in-law house the curd rice is prepared with lots of method and with different ingredients.
This is one of very important food in all over south India and there is reason behind of this. Since most of place in south is very hot, particularly Tamilnadu, and people get dehydrated very soon, if they don’t take sufficient fluid. That’s why it is always prefer to take curd rice if you stay in south India.Here is recipe for it:-
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serving: 2 persons
Rice-1 cup (Washed and soaked)
Milk-1 1/2 cup
Water-2 1/2 cup
Mustard seed (Rai Dana)-1 tsp
Broken Black gram dal(Urad Dal)-1/2 tsp
Grated ginger-1/2 tsp
• Cook rice along with water and milk till it becomes very soft. For making thisvery easy cook rice in pressure cooker.
• Once rice is cooked allow it to get cool down
• Mashed the cook rice nicely with curd and salt and keep aside.
• Then heat oil in a pan and add all seasoning items.
• Season the curd rice with this.
• Serve with pickle.
One bowl of curd rice contains 250-300 calories approximately.
• If you are suffering with loose motion then don’t add milk while cooking rice you can add 4 cups of water. Even don’t season it.
• If you are prepare curd rice for some function or occasion then you can add some fruits in this like grapes, pinapple, apple or with fried dry fruits whatever you like.
• If you are on diet and want to reduce weight then don’t eat curd rice in night. Since it contains high calorie.
• Curd rice is very easily digestible that’s why it’s very safe for infants more than 8 months.
• If you are preparing curd rice for travel then cook rice with only water and mashed with milk. Then add only 2-3 spoon of curd and mix well. In this procedure curd rice will stay longer.