January 20, 2010
Have you ever tested Dal Makhani???
If answer is no then you should really prepare this today and taste it. Dal Makhani is very rich and finger licking recipe. The recipe belongs to Punjab and has lots of fibre and protein in this since it is made with whole black gram pulses and kidney beans.
The dish needs lots of time and efforts to cook but believe me after you have done then you will never forget the taste of it. The traditional Dal Makhani is made from lots of butter and cream since today’s generation has become little health concuss so you can make some modification as per your choice with the help of my tips.
Cooking time: 1 hrs15 (Approximately)
Serving: 4 persons
Whole black gram (Sabut urad) -2 cups
Kidney Beans (Rajama)-8 tbs
Oil-1 tbs Green cardamom-2
Onion-2 (Paste or finely chopped)
Ginger garlic paste-2 tsp
Tomato paste or puree-1 ½ cups
Red Chilli Powder-3 tsp
Turmeric Powder-1 tsp
Fresh Cream-1 cup
Chopped coriander-2 tbs (For garnish)
• Wash and soak the whole black gram and kidney beans overnight or at least 8 hrs.
• Pressure cook this dal with salt for about 10-11 min or till it get cooked.
• Heat a pan and put oil in this.
• Add all whole gram masala in this. Fry till you get nice smell of masala.
• Then add chopped onion in this and fry till it turn to golden brown colour.
• Then add ginger garlic paste and fry till oil get separated from it.
• Then add tomato paste along with turmeric powder, chilli powder and butter.
• Keep steering this till masala becomes thick.
• Add cooked dal in this along with salt.
• Cook the dal in low flame till it reaches to thick consistency.
• Add cream in this and cook for another 5 minutes.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and cream.
• Serve with naan,roti,paratha or pulao.
• Cook dal in very low flame.
• After you add dal to masala remember to steer it in every minutes or else dal will get settled down at the bottom of pan and it will get burned.
• If you don’t have whole gram masala then add gram masala powder at the end.
• For reducing calorie in the dish you can cut down oil, butter and cream quantity.
• You can add little kasuri methi (Dry Fenugreek leaves) for an extra ordinary flavour.