January 06, 2010
I am again here to give you another chutney recipe today which belongs to Andhra Pradesh.
Andhra Pradesh is very famous for their chutney and pickle recipes. Their main food includes chutney, pickle, samber, any one kind of pappu (dal), rasam, some dry curries, papad and dhahi (curd) along with rice.
Since at present I am in Dubai and fortunately I got to learn Andhra food from Mrs J Leela who is my husband's collegue wife.
I will share some of recipes what I learnt from her. I am grateful to her for giving me this opportunity to learn another kind of food and add to my knowledge.
So here it is:
Palak (spinach) Chutney
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serving: 4 persons
Palak (Spinach): 2 cup washed and chopped
Tamarind-one small lemon size (soaked in warm water)
Black Gram (Urad) Dal-2 tbs
Bengal Gram (Channa) Dal-3 tbs
Mustard Seeds (Rai Dana)-1 tsp
Dry Red Chilis-4-5
• Heat ½ tsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, black gram dal, red chilies and Bengal gram dal.
• Fry these in low flame till it reaches to light pinkish color.
• Remove it from pan and allow it to cool.
• Then in same pan heat one tsp oil and put palak leaves and green chilies in that and fry till it get cooked and tender.
• Remove and cool it.
• Now in a mixer chutney jar take the items what we have done in first step.
• Grind it till it becomes a powder like rava then add tamarind and palak in this and grind again till it reaches to good chutney thickness.
• Add salt and grind it again.
• Serve with hot rice and dal.