January 08, 2010
Rava Upma, the very common and easy to make an Indian breakfast recipe. The dish belongs to south India but now it is famous and eaten in every corner of the country. It is made out of refined wheat which is called as rava or suji in India. In some places or outside of country it is also called as semolina.
Rava Upma is very easy to prepare and for extra taste vegetables can be added. The dish is one of my mother’s favorite breakfasts. I still remember when I was doing my graduation then the classes were early in morning by 7am.Those days, 5 days in a week breakfast was only upma since it hardly takes time to prepare.
I will give you the recipe of Vegetables Rava Upma but if you don’t wish to add vegetables you can just avoid it and prepare it with the other mentioned ingredients.
Vegetable Rava Upma
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serving: 4 persons
Bombay Rava (Suji)-2 cups
Onion-1 medium in size (finely chopped)
Green chilies-2 (Finely chopped)
Vegetables of yours choice-like carrot,cauliflower,potato,capsicum,French beans,peas etc.-1/2 cup(washed and cut in small pieces)
Cumin seed-1 tsp
Broken Black gram (Urad) dal-1/2 tsp
Bengal gram (Channa) dal-1 tsp
Dry Red Chilies-2
• Heat a pan and roast rava till it turns to light pink color.
• Remove it and put on a plate.
• In the same pan heat ghee or oil.
• Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, broken black gram dal, Bengal gram dal, red chilies and curry leaves.
• Once the mustard seed cracked then add onion and green chilies.
• Fry till onion turn to golden brown color.
• Then add vegetables and add little salt which should be enough for vegetables alone.
• Once vegetables are cooked then add 4 cups of water.
• Allow it to boil add little salt again.
• Once water start boiling then start adding rava slowly.
• Keep steering the mix in pan while mixing rava or else there might lumps will get form.
• Once you have added all rava keep the gas flame in low and cover it with lead for couple of minutes.
• Take off flame.
• Serve hot with chutney and samber.
One plate of Rava upma contains 170 calorie approximately.
• If you want to take lesser time to cook upma then add hot water instead of cold water.
• If you want you can add little lemon juice also for different taste. Once you take off upma from flame then add nearly2-3 spoon of lemon juice.
• In the same way you can also add tomatoes, if you want, then in that case, you have to add tomatoes once vegetables are cooked.