Very common and easy to make coconut chutney is a best combination for any Tiffin items in south India. It is a very tradition companion with idli and dosa.Since coconut is very high in calories I use very rarely in my dishes but once in a month I make this chutney for changing our taste buds. If, you are healthy enough and can take more calorie in your food then you can prepare this chutney with your south Indian breakfast at any time.
First Time, when my mother has visited Chennai and we had our breakfast in one very small hotel, then they have also served this chutney with our each breakfast, we have ordered. My mother liked this chutney a lot and she has asked me the recipe but that day I could not answer her. After my marriage I got the opportunity to learn all south Indian dishes from my Grand Mother in law Smt. R.Vathsala) and mother in law (Mrs. K Sulochana). Now whenever I visit my mother place (Bhubaneswar) I make this chutney for her. Will you try this??
Preparation time: 5 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 5 minutes (Approximately)
Serving: 3-4 persons
Grated Coconut-1 cup
Roasted Bengal Gram Dal-1/4 cup (Optional)
Green Chillies-5-6 (if you want chutney more spicy then you can put more chillies)
Split black gram dal-1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds (Rai Dana)-1/2 tsp
Dry red Chillies-1
• First put in mixer jar grated coconut and green chilli and grind it to fine.
• Then if you want then add roasted Bengal gram dal along with salt and little water and grind it to fine paste.
• If you don’t want to add roasted Bengal gram dal then add little water with salt and grind it.
• Now heat a pan and add oil in this.
• Add all seasoning items and allow mustard seeds to crack.
• Then add this seasoning to chutney.
• Serve this chutney with any south Indian dish.
• If you want, for additional taste, you can use little tamarind water in this.
• I have heard from my husband’s uncle that if you remove the outer skin (the brown one) then your calorie count also will get reduces, I do this even you can try this.