I got opportunity to share my recipes with event cooking with seeds -fenugreek and cooking with seeds announcing new event
SE has taken a great step towards the event. I know many people know about the benefits of fenugreek seeds, but few people use large quantity of it, in their cooking. Fenugreek seeds are bitter in taste but the health benefits are really very sweet. My granny use to say that fenugreek seeds give very good effect to women who have white discharge problems. If, you bite one tsp of fenugreek seeds along with one glass of butter milk, then your stomach remain cool. These are home remedies which you can try because it does not have any side effects.
I am putting my pen down for a very healthy and tasty recipe today. The Idea of the recipe has been given by my grandmother in law Smt. R Vathsala but I have made some changes in the main idea which I will disclose in my Tips section. So here is the recipe of Fenugreek Seeds Dal:-
Fenugreek seeds Dal
Preparation time: 2-3 hrs minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes (Approximately)
Serving: 4-6 persons
Red Gram Dal-2 cups
Fenugreek Seeds-1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder-1 -2 tsp
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli-1
Onion-2 medium (Chopped)-Optional
Tomatoes-2 (Finely chopped)
Ginger-1 tsp (Grated)
Green Chillies-4 (Finely chopped)
Coriander powder-1 tsp (Optional)
Garam Masala-1/2 tsp (Optional)
Chilli powder-1 tsp (optional)
Lemon -3 (Juice extracted)
Coriander Leaves-for garnish
• Wash and soak fenugreek seeds for about 2-3 hours.
• Wash and soak red gram dal for 30 minutes.
• Once fenugreek seeds are soaked then cook dal and fenugreek seeds along with turmeric powder. If you use pressure cooker then, cooking time will be 5-10 minutes.
• Now heat oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds in this.
• Once mustard is cracked then add red chilli, chopped onion, grated ginger and green chillies in this.
• Fry till onions are cooked and changes it's colour to golden brown.
• Now add chopped tomatoes along with all dry masala.
• Cook till tomatoes are half cooked.
• Then add cooked dal in this seasoning along with salt.
• Cook till dal is thick enough.
• Add lemon juice and mix well for a minute.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and server with Roti, Parathas and Rice.
• My grandmother in law has not used onion in this recipe if you don’t want to put onion in the dal even you can avoid.Instead of onion you can use 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder in this.
• She has not used coriander and gram masala powder and again it is your choice.
• You can soak fenugreek seeds in night and make the dal in morning it will save your time.
• If your taste is mild then you can reduce your chillies or can avoid chilli powder.
• If you don’t have red gram dal or want to change the dal you can also use masoor dal.