Few days back I made something which was advised by my mother in law over phone. The story begins here:-
I made Idli for dinner along with some coconut chutney, onion samber and chutney podi but my husband had his dinner outside with his office colleague without any prior information. Till 10 pm in night, I was thinking what to do with those remain idli because samber can be heated up in the morning and eat with rice but idli noooooooooooooooo.I can’t eat idli which is not fresh ,even no one at my home. Fortunately I got to speak to my MIL for some issues and while speaking to her, I told that there is 8-10 idli is remain and i askd her, what to do with that, then she gave me an idea. Guess what it could be????? IDLI UPMA!!!!!
I was totally new to the recipe and gave a try next day morning for breakfast. It was fantastic. I liked it very much and even he. I know my all south Indian friend will be aware of this recipe but for me it was an experiment. So here is the result:-
Preparation time: 10 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 15 minutes (Approximately)
Idli-8-10 (Not the fresh one)
Onion-1 large (Cut in small cubes)
Green Chillies-2 sliced
Curry Leaves-few (For Seasoning)
Grated ginger-1 tsp
Split Black Gram (Urad) Dal-1 tsp
Bengal Gram (Channa) Dal-1 tsp
Mustard Seeds (Rai)-1 tsp
Dry red Chillies-1 broken in 2-3 pieces
chutney podi- 3 tabs
• Break all idli by hand in rough shape.
• Heat oil in a pan.
• Put mustered, Bengal gram, black gram, asafetida, curry leaves and dry red chilli.
• Once mustered cracked add onion, green chillies and ginger in this.
• Once onion turned to golden brown colour add broken idli, salt and chutney podi in this.
• Mix well and fry them for about 10 minutes then add grated carrot in this.
• Fry another couple of minutes.
• Serve hot by garnishing coriander leaves.
• My chutney powder recipe is here but if you want you can use readymade.
• Instead of chutney podi you can also use chilli powder.
• For additional flavour you can add little gram masal or chat masal in this.
• Crushed roasted peanut also will give nice flavour to the dish.