You know, South Indians prepare one item in different style. If you take, their common food like samber, then you will find that it is prepared in different way in all state. In my mother place, idli and dosa is prepared only once a while and I remember, before my marriage, me and my sisters, whenever we prepared dosa and idli we prepare with chutney and samber for our breakfast. I remember that chutney was as normal Bengal gram chutney with coconut but we were not satisfied with our samber taste. Fortunately we met with one didi who was staying in front of our house and she was from Andhra Pradesh. One day we asked her to teach us samber and she taught us her method. Samber came out very well and thereafter; whenever we prepare idli dosa at my mother place we follow her method of making samber along with it.
After my wedding, everything got changed. I got married in very traditional Tamil Iyengar family and there preparation of food is completely different from normal south Indian food. They prepare everything at home even samber powder and rasam powder. Recipes of these powders I will post very soon. Since I have started with Andhra Samber so here is recipe of it which I have learnt from Mrs. Reddy in Bhubaneswar.
Mixed Vegetable Samber (Recipe from Spicy Andhra)
Preparation time: 15 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 20 minutes (Approximately)
Serving: 4-6 persons
Red Gram Dal- 1 ½ cups (Washed and Soaked)
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Water-2 ½ cups
Tamarind- as big as medium lemon (soak in warm water and take it pulp from it)
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tsp
Spilt black gram dal-1/2 tsp
Onion-1 cut in cubes
Green chillies-2 sliced
Mix vegetables-1 to 2 cups (you can put any vegetables for this except bitter guard)
Samber powder-2 tsp
Grated coconut-1/2 cup
Dry red chillies-6-7
Coriander Seeds-2 tabs
Salt- to taste
Coriander leaves-For garnish
• Pressures cook the soaked dal along with 2 ½ cups water and turmeric powder till it is cooked.
• Allow pressure cooker to get cool down its own.
• Now heat a pan with oil.
• Add mustard seeds, split black gram dal, fenugreek seeds, and asafoetida and curry leaves.
• Once mustard seeds are cracked then add cubed onion and sliced chillies.
• Cook onion till it is half done.
• Add all washed and cut vegetables and little salt 9which should be sufficient for vegetables).
• Till vegetables are cooked mix tamarind pulp to cook dal.
• Once vegetables are cooked add tamarind dal in this.
• Then add salt (remember you have put salt for vegetables also) and samber powder.
• Bring it boil.
• While samber is boiling, take a grinder jar and put grated coconut, red chillies and coriander seeds.
• Grind it to fine paste.
• Once samber start boiling add this paste to dal and cook for 5 minutes.
• Garnish with coriander leaves.
• Serve with rice, idli, dosa or whatever.
MY TIPS FOR THE RECIPE
• For choosing vegetables for this samber then choose vegetables like drum sticks,raddish, yellow pumpkin, brijal,lady fingers, these vegetables give very nice flavour to samber.
• This samber will be really very spicy but according to taste you can just increase or decrease quantity of chillies.