Me and my hubby love to eat all veg Chinese dishes and particularly which are prepared with schezwan sauce. We can hog number of plates schezwan rice and that to prepare in OLD FOX (one of restaurant in Hyderabad).We used to eat this, at least once in a week, when we were in Hyderabad.
While eating schezwan rice I always thinks that what is the difference between normal Chinese fried rice and chinese schezwan rice, my taste buds were feeling a huge difference but were unable to find out. One day, while reading something about china I came to know about the schezwan pepper corns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_peppercorn) and you know what was my feeling, it was like my heart shouted HURREY, I got it.
Recently we went to Dragon Mall (Very big Chinese mall in Dubai) and I got these pepper corns from one of trading shop in the mall. I gave a try to the dish with veggie and cottage cheese the very next day and it was excellent (as per my beloved’s comment and for yours you need to prepare it or welcome to my home at any time), whatever I would love to share the recipe with everyone. Reposting the event for JAY for event letz relishh paneer .Have a look:-
Paneer Schezwan Rice
Preparation time: 30-35 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 40 minutes (Approximately)
Jeera/Basmati Rice-2 cups (Washed)
White Onion-2 in large (Finely chopped)
Finely chopped garlic-2 tabs (optional)
Cottage Cheese (Paneer)-1 cup (Cut in small cubes)
Dry Red Chillis-2-3
Chopped vegetables -1 cup (Carrot and beans)
Schezwan sauce-6-7 tabs (or as spicy as you need)
Soya sauce-1 tabs
Ingredients for Schezwan Sauce (I am giving the quantity in large so that you can prepare and store it)
Dry Red Chillies-20
Schezwan pepper corns-1 tsp
Method (to prepare sauce)
• Boil one cup water in a pan and add red chillies and garlic in this.
• Boil it for 5 minutes then drain water and allow it to get cool down.
• Now remove the seeds from red chillies very carefully so that later on you don’t get hand burning.
• Now in a mixer jar add boiled chilli and garlic along with vinegar and schezwan pepper corn,
• Grind it fine paste and keep in freeze for future use.
Method (For preparing schezwan rice)
• Boil around six cups of water in a wide and large mouth vessel.
• Once water starts boiling then add washed rice till it is ¾ done.
• Now drain water from rice.
• Add one tabs oil in rice and keep aside.
• Now heat rest of oil in a large pan and add dry red chillies in that.
• Allow it to turn black in high flame.
• Add chopped onion and fry till onion turned to golden colour.
• Now add finely chopped vegetables along with ½ tsp salt and cook till they are done half.
• Now add cubed cottage cheese, soya sauce and prepared schezwan sauce.
• Fry well, for 5 minutes, in high flame, but remember it should not get burn.
• Now add cooked rice and salt and mix well.
• Fry till you get nice aroma of schezwan pepper corn.
• Serve hot with any Chinese side dish.
• You get these schezwan pepper corns in Chinese store but in case you don’t get these you can just avoid putting it in sauce.(But you might not get the nice aroma of shezwan rice)
• Be careful while putting salt in rice because soya sauce has salt in it.
• The dish is very spicy that is why be careful while adding prepared schezwan sauce.
• You can store this sauce in freeze for preparing any schezwan recipe.