I am back with another recipe to my blog after 2 days. In last two days I was just looking my dashboard with some new recipes from my fellow bloggers but was not having enough strength to write down a post.
I have made ras malai twice or thrice in India and experienced every time a different taste with respect to rasguulas. Twice I made in Bangalore and it came out extremely well but when I have tried in Chennai and Dubai the rasgulla was not as much as spongy like Bangalore one but the taste was same. I concluded that it was milk fault because the whole milk of Bangalore is extremely good, but in Chennai and Dubai, I didn’t find a single time cream (malai) was on top of milk pan, after boiling it. Still I tried again this time with the special whole milk of AMUL what I got in nearby a super market and it turned ok but again not like Bangalore so if someone has suggestions how to make rasgullas spongier, then please let me know. So here is recipe for it hope you will like this:-
Preparation time: 15 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 1 hrs 30 minutes (Approximately)
Makes-10-11 Ras malai
Whole Milk-2 litres
Sugar- 1 ½ to 1 ¾ cups
Almond and pista flakes-1/4 cup
Cardamom Powder-1 tsp
Lemon juice -2 tabs
For making ras malai we need to make fresh paneer or called as chenna in India so here is how to make chenna???
• Boil 1 litre milk in a pan and wait till it starts boiling.
• Once it starts boiling reduce heat and add lemon juice slowly.
• Now when milk fat gets separated from water then filter this with a cotton thin cloth and add some cold water.
• Adding cold water will help you to make soft chenna and even the lemon smell also will go off.
• Now squeeze the whole water or you can hang up the cloth, putting a knot in that, for few minutes.
• After draining the water completely, remove the chenna on a wider plate or put on a clean surface, mash up with hand nicely (you can use food processor also for smoothing up the chenna).
• Once you mashed up the chenna nicely, then it will turn like roti daugh and you can make balls easily from it.
Now we need to make rasgullas from chenna.
• Take a wide mouth pan with lid and add 5 cups of water along with 1 cup of sugar. Boil it.
• Make equal size of balls from chenna daugh and flatten it with your hand. While making balls remember that size of rasgulla will become double once it goes to boiling sugar water.
• Now add this flat rasgullas in boiling sugar water and boil in high flame for about 20-25 minutes or till it is cooked and double in size.
• Then remove it from sugar water and allow it to cool down.
• Once rasgullas are cooled then take each rasgulla in between your two palms and squeezes the water from it.
• Keep in serving bowl.
Method for making Rasa
• Now take a heavy bottom pan and add another liter of milk along with ½ to ¾ cup of sugar.
• Put it on medium flame and keep steering it till it becomes half in quantity.
• In middle when milk has reduced ¼ quantities then add safforn, cardmom powder and half of dry fruits.
• Once milk is halved in quantity switch off the flame and add this rasa on top of rasgullas.
• Keep in fridge for about 25-45 minutes.
• Serve this with garnish of dry fruits.
• I you want to make ras malai in 30 minutes then use readymade rasgullas.Squezze the sugar syrup and make the rasa and add it in this.
• The chenna water you can use for making curry, roti and parathas, it will be very tasty.
• Always use fresh whole milk for making chenna.
• The quantity of sugar for making rasa is as per my family taste you can reduce or increase as per your taste.