Like chutney in Andhra, samber is one of main side dish for Tamil Nadu and they prepare varieties of samber but called with various name. They rarely add all vegetables in samber (Like other south Indians). Sometimes they prepare with any one vegetable or some proper combinations of vegetables. Even they prepare this without adding dal also called as vatral Kuzhumbu that means samber with dry ingredients. They prepare these kind of samber with those items which can be dried up in sun light like manathakkali, sundaka (all traditional Tamil items), peanut, kabuli channa, cluster beans sometimes they add some vegetables like lady finger, brinjal, yam etc.So here is one verity what I prepared, “yam samber”. Dry Fenugreek seeds play very important role in this because the aroma of it makes more delicious this samber.Sending this recipe to event cooking with seeds fenugreek and cooking with seeds announcing-Priya's blog
Sivapan Kizhangu Kuzhumbu (Yam Samber without adding dal)
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes (Approximately)
Serving: 4-6 persons
Yam (Arubi)-200 grams
Samber powder-4 tabs
Ginggly oil-2 tabs
Red dry Chilli-2
Solid Asafoetida-as small as like 1”ginger
Red gram (Toor) dal-1 tabs
Bengal gram (Chann) Dal-1/2 tabs
Split black gram dal-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-1 tabs
Mustard seeds-2 tsp
Tamarind-as big as an small orange (Soak in warm water and remove the pulp)
• Wash and boil the yam with its jacket in sufficient water till it is tender or cooked.
• Remove the skin and cut in 2”size.Keep aside.
• Now take a pan and heat oil in this.
• Add dry red chillies and allow it to turn black in colour.
• Now add all dals along with asafoetida.
• Once all dal turns red in colour add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
• Add boiled and cut yam along with curry leaves and fry it for 2 minutes.
• Now add samber powder in this and fry for another couple of minutes.
• Now add tamarind pulp along with ½ cup water and bring to boil.
• Once it starts boiling add salt.
• Boil till you get desired thickness.
• Serve with hot rice and dry potato curry.
• Cook everything in medium heat for this samber then only you will get very nice smell of samber powder.
• Once you add samber powder then remember that it should not get burnt.