Here is my recipe from my Mom’s place and this one, I am sending for Nithu's event.
DATES & TOMATO CHUTNEY
Preparation time:10 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes (Approximately)
Tomatoes- 4 medium in size (chopped)
Dates- ½ to ¾ cups (Seedless)
Panch Phoran-1 tsp
Green Chillies-2 (Finely chopped)
Dry Red Chilli-1
Asafoetida- ½ tsp
Grated Ginger-1 tsp
Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
Jaggery or sugar-2 tabs
• Heat oil in a pan.
• Add panchphoran, dry red chilli, grated ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida and green chillies.
• Once mustard splutter then add chopped tomatoes along with turmeric and salt.
• Cook till tomatoes are done half then add dates.
• Once the tomatoes cooked completely add jaggery or sugar.
• Cook till it is semi solid.
• Serve with rice, roti or parathas.
• Panch phoran can be made from equal quantity of mustered, cumin, fennel. Onion seeds (Kalonji) and red chilli seeds.
• The chutney will have all taste in it, so you can serve this for kid.
• Instead of tomatoes, even you can also give a try with tamarind pulp.