First, I should say sorry to my readers and blogger friends for taking such a long leave from my blog. I planned to stay in India only for 15 days but it has become long stay here. After spending nearly a month in my mother’s place, I have come down to Delhi for a week. Soon, I will post some of pics of my Orissa visit. During my stay in Orissa I learned many new dishes from my mother and sisters and I would be feeling so great to share these recipes and taste with all of you.
I will begin this series with one of my mother’s recipe who is undoubtly very good cook. My mother cooks very simple dish but I don’t know how come it turns so tasty. Look at this recipe, with very less ingredients and, simple method but extremely tasty.
Khaskhasi Aloo Mutter Paneer
Preparation time: 15 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 30 minutes (Approximately)
Fresh Paneer-200 grams
Potatoes-3 medium in size (cut in cubes)
Green Peas-1/2 cup (Fresh or frozen)
Tomatoes-2 medium in size
Poppeyseeds-4 tabs (Called as khaskhas or posto)
Oil-1/2 cup or as required
Cooking Butter-4 tabs
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Chilli powder-1 tsp or to taste
Salt- to taste
Garam Masala- ½ tsp
Coriander leaves-For garnishing
• Soak poppy seeds and cashew nuts together in 1 cup of warm water.
• Grind this to a fine paste with tomatoes and keep aside.
• Now heat oil in a pan and fry paneer till it turns to slight golden brown colour.
• Remove it on kitchen towel and keep aside.
• Now fry the potatoes in remain oil till it is half cooked.
• Remove this on tissues and keep aside.
• Now heat butter in another pan.
• Put cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf.
• Fry for couple of seconds and then add fried potato and peas.
• Add salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder.
• Fry this in low medium heat for 5 minutes.
• Now add the paste of poppy seeds, cashew nut and tomatoes in to this along with fried paneer and garam masala.
• Cover it and cook in low flame for 10-15 minutes.
• Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve.
• Since this dish does not require onion and garlic that’s why, it can be considered as pure vegetarian dish.
• I made this dish little dry but if you want to make gravy of this then increase the quantity of poppy seeds, cashew nuts and tomatoes and add little water after adding this paste to curry, boil it for 5-10 minutes.