Continuing the series of recipes from my native, I am here again with another traditional Oriya recipe, which is basically made in whole Orissa, on any occasion.
Gravy of the dish is basically made with mustard paste, in combination of cumin seeds, garlic and ginger but if it is made on some auspicious day then onion and garlic has to be avoided as per Sasthra. It can be made with any vegetable or combi of lots of vegetable and if, you are non vegetarian then it can be made with fish.
Whenever I visit Orissa I make sure that, I eat this as many as times I get chance to eat or you can say this is one of my most favourite dish. So here is recipe of it:-
Vegetables in Mustard Gravy (Besarra)
Preparation time: 25 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 20 minutes (Approximately)
Cluster Beans- 50 grams (Cut in 1”size)
Brinjal-50 grams (Cut in 2”size)
Potato- 100 grams (Cut in 1”size)
Black Gram Dal Vadi-1 cup (Dry roasted)-optional
Onion- 1 (Finely chopped)
Green chillies-2 (slit)
Garlic- 4 cloves
Ginger- 1 inch
Big Mustard Seeds-4-5 tabs
Cumin seeds-2 tsp
Tomatoes or Dry Mango-2 (Finely chopped or paste)
Panch Poharan-1 tsp
Curry leaves- Few
Asafoetida- ½ tsp
Salt- to taste
Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
Chilli Powder-2 tsp or as required
Coriander leaves- 4 tabs
• Soak mustard, cumin seeds, ginger and garlic in ½ cup water for 10-15 minutes then grind it to fine paste. Keep aside
• Heat oil in a pan.
• Put panchphoran, curry leaves, asafoetida, green chillies and onion.
• Fry till onion is golden brown colour.
• Then add grinded mustard paste and fry for 5 minutes.
• Add all the vegetables in the paste along with salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder.
• Mix well and fry for 5 minutes without adding water.
• Now add sufficient water for cooking the vegetables.
• Cook vegetables till it is tender and then add chopped tomatoes in this.
• Cook till tomatoes are tender.
• Add roasted black gram vadi and turn off flame.
• Add coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
• After adding mustard paste, into fried onion, don’t leave it for long time, it will give you bitter taste.