Avial is one of most favourite dish at my home. It is mostly prepare in all weddings and festival in Tamilnadu that too particularly in Iyengars’function... Adai Avial has been the Romeo and Juliet of South Indian dishes for centuries. So here is the recipe of AVIAL for you all. The dish consists of lots of vegetables, coconut, and curd.
AVIAL (A very traditional Tamil Dish)
Cooking time: 20minutes (Approximately)
Serving: 8 persons
White Pumpkin-250 grams (Wash n Cut in 2”cubes)
Potato-100 grams (Wash n Cut in 2”Cubes)
French Beans-50 grams (Wash n Cut in 1”length)
Cluster Beans-50 grams (Wash n Cut in 1”length)
Flat Beans-50 grams (Wash n Cut in 1”length)
Green Peas or shelled peas-1/2 cup
Carrot-50 grams (Wash n Cut in 1/2” long pieces)
Yam (Arubi)-100 grams (Boiled peeled, cut if required)
Green Capsicum-1 (Wash n Cut in 2”pieces)
Dum Stick-2 (Wash n cut in 1" piece)
Raw Bananas-2 (Wash n Cut in small cubes)
Long Beans-50 grams (Wash n Cut in 1”length)
Turmeric Powder-1 tsp
Thick Sour Curd-2 cup
Grated Coconut-1 ½ cup
Green Chilles-10-15 (or as spicy you required)
Coconut Oil-2 tabs
Mustard Seed-2 tsp
Spilt Black gram (Urad) Dal-1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies-4
• Except yam (Arubi) cook all vegetables in little water along with salt and turmeric powder, till all vegetable is cooked or tender.Boil yam with its jacket till it is tender.
• If you are cooking vegetables in pressure cooker then cook the vegetables in medium high flame for about 2-3 whistles.
• Then remove the jacket of yam and add in cooked vegetables. Keep aside
• Now in grinder jar, put coconut, green chillies and curd and grind it to a fine paste.
• Add this paste to cooked vegetables.
• Place this vegetable in a pan and cook in low flame till the gravy becomes thick.
• Now heat a pan and put coconut oil.
• Put all seasoning ingredients once oil is heated.
• Once mustard seeds are cracked then add this seasoning to cooked vegetable gravy.
• Serve with roti, poori, chapati, rice or the best combination Adai http://www.spoonsnforks.com/2010/01/adai.html
• You can add more verities of vegetables in this except bitter guard and brinjal.
• Put little coconut oil on Avial before serving it. It gives very nice flavour and aroma to the dish.
• Remember only one thing that, the vegetables which get cooked faster, cut in big pieces and vegetables which take time to get cooked, cut in small pieces.
Simple, healthy and tasty.