Very common and popular Indian dessert is carrot halwa. It is very tasty, rich and popular north Indian dessert which is made in whole India. Now a day it has become very common in every weddings and hotel buffet. You get carrot in any season so you can enjoy the dish whenever you want but I love to prepare this recipe with Delhi carrot (Red carrot).I feel the recipes is really gives tremendous taste with Delhi carrot.
I keep preparing this dish very regularly and with different methods. The traditionally carrot halwa is prepared with mava (Khoya), ghee, sugar, milk and dry fruits. If you are thinking to cut down calorie of your carrot halwa then you need to put very less effort and you can prepare very good halwa. See tips inside my recipe.
Carrot (Gajar) Halwa
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hrs 10 minutes (Approximately)
Serving: 8 persons
Seasonal Carrot or orange carrot-700 grams (Grated carrot 4 cups)
Khoya (Mava)-100 grams can be replaced with 200 grams condensed milk
Sugar-1 ½ cups
Dry fruits-1/4 cup (Cashew nut, raisins, pista, almond etc.)
Cardamom Powder-1 tsp
• Wash carrots properly and then peel them off.
• Grate the carrots.
• Take a wide mouth pan and put 5 cups of milk in that.
• Bring it to boil.
• Once milk starts getting boil put the grated carrot in this.
• Cook this till milk evaporate completely and carrot cooked well.
• Add sugar and khoya or condensed milk in this.
• Mix well and cook till halwa gets thicken.
• Then keep 1 tsp ghee aside and add the remain ghee into halwa.
• Add cardamom powder in this.
• Cook this till ghee gets separated from halwa.
• Take it off from flame.
• Now take another pan and put 1 tsp ghee in this.
• Then slightly Fry all dry fruits and add to halwa.
• If you are using condensed milk then use less sugar or u can say ¾ cup of sugar, since condensed milk has sugar in it.
• If you want to reduce calorie count in this then prepare with skim milk and add sugar free instead of sugar.Dont put condensed milk in this kind of preparation. Cook carrot completely in milk then add sugar free and 1 tabs ghee. Then add cardamom powder.
• Some people don’t like cardamom smell in halwa in that case you can add little saffron in to halwa.
• Never add sugar into halwa before carrots are cooked properly.