Leafy vegetables are considered to be best food because it is low in calorie and fat but very high in protein and vitamins. I remember when I was in my childhood I never liked leafy vegetables and my granny used to force me to eat this, but I escape somehow always.
Now when I have become mother I understand that what my granny was telling me those days it was 100% true. Now I run behind my daughter to feed her vegetables. At home I try to make something or other with greens in every alternate day.
Today I am writing down a recipe what I have cooked in Bhubaneswar during my stay there. This is another one very common dish of Orissa and you can prepare this with any kind of leafy vegetables.
Saagga (Leafy vegetables in Oriya Style)
Preparation time: 10 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 20 minutes (Approximately)
Leafy vegetables- 2 cups (washed and finely chopped)
Brinjal-1 (Medium size cut in cubes)
Pumpkin- ½ cups (cut in cubes)
Green Gram dal- ½ cup
Grated coconut- ¼ cup
Salt- to taste
Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Garlic-5-6 cloves (Crushed)
Dry Red Chillies-2
• Wash green gram dal and cook in 1 cup water till it is done half.
• Once dal is cooked half then add greens, brinjal and pumpkin along with salt and turmeric powder.
• Cooked in low heat till everything cooked properly.
• Remove from heat.
• Now heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, dry red chillies, asafoetida and crushed garlic.
• Fry till garlic is golden brown colour.
• Add this seasoning to cooked vegetables.
• Add grated coconut and mix well.
• Serve with anything you like.