Bitter Melon or Guard is rarely liked by any one only because of its taste. I was also allergic to this vegetable during my school days. I remember whenever this will be in lunch I will stay away from the lunch. After I grown up then I understood the importance of bitter melon. For knowing more about Bitter Guard just go through this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_melon
By this time you have understood that I am going to write down a recipe which is made out of bitter guard. So here is:-
Bitter Guard Curry with Gram Dal
Preparation time: 10 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time-15-20 minutes (Approximately)
Serve -4 Persons
Bitter Guard-200 grams
Bengal Gram Dal-1/2 cup (soaked in water for ½ an hour)
Cumin seeds- 1tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Onion-2 (Finely chopped)
Ginger garlic paste-2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder-2 tsp
Chilli Powder-1-2 tsp or to taste
Tomatoes-2 (Finely chopped)
Gram Masala-1/2 tsp
• Cut bitter guard in 2-3 inches length (I have used baby bitter guard).
• Now wash the gram dal and put it in cooker along with cut and washed bitter guard, salt and turmeric powder.
• Cook it in medium heat for 5 minutes or till you get 2-3 whistle.
• Now take another pan and heat oil in this.
• Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves in this.
• Allow it to sizzle.
• Now add chopped onion in this and fry till it turns to golden brown colour.
• Now add ginger garlic paste along with all dry masalas and fry till it leaves fat from it.
• Now add chopped tomatoes and mix well.
• Cook till tomatoes are done.
• Now add boiled bitter guard and gram dal in this.
• Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
• Serve it with hot rice or chappati.