Mixed Dal Chutney is one of my husband’s all time favourite. I and he both are on diet these days and mostly eating Wheat Rava Upma (Dalia) and this chutney goes very well with this. Since the chutney is made without coconut that is why it is healthy version.
MIXED DAL CHUTNEY
Preparation Time-10 min
Cooking Time-5 min
Serves- 4 Persons
Pigeon peas (Toor Dal) - 2 tabs
Whole Black Gram (Urad dal)-2tbs
Bengal Gram Dal (Channa Dal)-2 tabs
Dry red chillies-5-6 (Or as per your taste)
Asafoetida powder-a pinch
Tamato-2 (medium size)
Salt –as per taste
Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
• Heat a pan and put one tea spoon of oil into it.
• Then put Bengal gram dal and fry it till its half roast.
• After Gram dal turns little red in colour, add Black gram and pigeon peas along with red chillies into it.
• Fry all these till a nice roast smell reaches your nostrils and then remove it off the stove.
• Cut tomato into half and put into same kadai and fry it till it become tender and loses its raw smell.
• Allow everything to cool down.
• Then put dal and chillies into mixer and grind it till it turn to granular powder , add tomato salt and asafoetida into it and again grind it till it to paste .
• You may not add any water since tomato shall add to texture.
• Now season the chutney with mustard seed and curry leaves or it can be served as it is.
• This can be a best side dish with dosa, idli, rice, roti or upma.
Since the chutney does not contain coconut it would be best for people with diabetes/ Cholesterol. Dal of course is a protein rich diet.