South Indian snacks are very popular in whole India. The verity of snacks items are made with rice here since rice takes major part of diet here. I love Murukku, Thattai, and Athirasam but before wedding I didn’t know how to make these. After wedding I started learning all these from my MIL and I am still learning. Recently got chance to learn from her how to make Thattai and it came out very well. Here is what my MIL has thought me:-
Preparation time: 15 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time-45 minutes-1 hours (Approximately)
Makes-50 medium size numbers of Thattai
Rice Flour-2 cups
Black Gram (Urad Dal) Flour-4 tabs
Grated Coconut-6 tabs
Toor Dal or Gram Dal-4-6 tabs (Soaked in water before one hour)
Sesame Seeds-2 tabs
Coconut Oil-2 tabs
Unsalted Butter-2 tabs
Crushed Pepper Corn-4 tabs
Red Chilli Powder- 2 tsp or as you required
Salt- to taste
Asafoetida powder- 1 tsp
Oil- for deep frying
• Take a mixing bowl.
• Put rice flour, black gram flour and salt. Mix well.
• Now add grated coconut, soaked dal, sesame seeds. Butter, crushed pepper corn, red chilli powder, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
• Mix all this well.
• By sprinkling some water to flour, make soft dough from it but it should not be watery.
• Now heat a pan and put oil in this for deep frying.
• Take a thin cleaned cloth or plastic paper.
• Wipe your fingers with a drop of coconut oil.
• Take a small lemon size ball of prepared dough.
• Keep this on the one side of edge of cloth or plastic paper and closed it with other side of edge.
• Now press this by your hand or a wide base vessel to make small circle.
• Fry this in hot oil in medium heat till it is cooked well.
• Remove on kitchen tissues for excess oil.
• Cool and store in air tight container.
• For making black gram dal flour take 5-6 tabs of whole or split dal and dry roast in a pan and make fine powder in mixer.
• I have used pepper and red chilli powder for this you can use any of these as you like.