COCONUT, the most common intake in south India and off course at my home also. Now a day’s me and my husband are not taking coconut in our food because during our stay in Dubai we have put little weight, so trying to reduce it.
Tenga (coconut) Thogayal is one of very favourite item of every one at my home. My mom in law makes this at least once a week but this I got chance to make this with her guidance. So here is how I made it.
TENGA THOGAYAL (COCONUT CHUTNEY IN TAMIL STYLE)
Cooking Time-5 min
Serves- 4 Persons
Whole Black Gram-4 tabs
Whole red chillis-6
Whole asafoetida-as small as ½ grape
Grated coconut-1/2 cup
Tamarind –as small as a small lemon (soaked in water for 10-15 minutes)
• Heat oil in a pan.
• Put black gram, red chillies and asafoetida and fry till you get very nice aroma of black gram and it turns to red in colour.
• Remove it from fir and allow it to get cool down.
• Take of pulp out of soaked tamarind.
• Once it is cooled then takes a chutney jar and put the all fried items in this.
• Grind it to granular powder.
• Now add coconut and grind it along with tamarind pulp and salt.
• Serve with typical South Indian meals.