Krishna jyanti is very important festival for Iyengars but all Hindu family celebrate this festival as per their culture.This time my MIL was not with me to guide what to do for festival but I was getting her instruction over phone.
I prepared everything whatever she asked me to make and I will post the recipe of everything one by one.Since I am from Orissa I wanted to make some oriya dish for the puja so I made one dish which is normally prepared by oriya people on festival days it is called as suji manda(Rava Balls with coconut filling) in Orissa. Usually it is prepared during December that is Magh month of Hindu calendar.The whole Orissa celebrate lakshmi pooja on all Thursday of Magh month.
So here the recipe for it:
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Makes-10-12 medium size
Bombay Rava/Semolina (Suji)-2 cups
Oil/Ghee-for deep frying
Finely grated coconut-1 cup
Cardamom powder-1 tsp
• Take a wide mouth pan and boil 4 cup of water in this.
• When water starts boiling add salt and sugar.
• Then start adding slowly semolina by continuously steering in this.
• Keep it in low flame and cover it with lid
• Remove the lid after a couple of minute and again steer it.
• Remove the mix in plate and allow it get cool.
• Meanwhile heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan.
• Add grated coconut and fry till golden brown color.
• Then add cardamom powder and jiggery in this.
• Fry till jiggery gets melted.
• Once the mixture isl well mixed it from heat.
• Now for the rava mix you need to put 1 tsp ghee in this and knead it nicely when it is little warm.
• Now heat oil/ghee for deep frying in a pan.
• Then equal size of rava mix and stuff this with coconut mixture.
• Seal the edges with water and give a shape of ball, then flaten it little with the help of your hands.
• Deep fry it in oil ghee.
• Serve hot or cold with your evening tea or coffee.
• Keep steering the mix in pan while mixing rava or else there might lumps will get form.
• While stuffing rava balls put little oil/ghee in your hand.By doing this rava mixture will not be stick on your hand.
• If you don’t have jiggery you can use ¼ cup sugar.
• If you want you can add some dry fruits in coconut mixture whatever you like.