Preparation time: 2 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 15 minutes (Approximately)
Serving: 4 persons
Oats-2 cups (I have used Quaker Oats)
Split Green Gram Dal- 1 ½ cups
Cumin seeds- 3 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Grated Ginger- 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves- few
Turmeric powder- ¾ tsp
Salt- to taste
· Wash and soak green gram for half an hour.
· Now in a pressure cooker, put soaked Dal and oats along with tomatoes, turmeric leaves and salt).
· Add 4-5 cups of water.
· Pressure cook for 10 minutes in medium heat or till you get 2 whistles.
· Now heat ghee in a pan and put cumin seeds, grated ginger, asafoetida and curry leaves.
· Allow cumin seeds to change its colour.
· Add this seasoning to cooked kichadi.
· If you want to enhance taste of the dish you can add few veggie like carrot, beans etc. To this.
· If you want the dish completely without oil or ghee just omit ghee here and add roasted cumin seeds here.