I believe that road side food makes good sell than a good restaurant. Today I am going to give you a dish which is very famous street food in Orissa and called as Gugani.The dish is made with dry peas and gives good combo with vada, poha and idli.
Gugani (A very common road side Orissa Dish)
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Dry green peas-2 cups (soaked in sufficient water over night or at least for 8 hours)
Cumin seeds-2 tsp
Onion-3-4 (Finely chopped)
Garlic-6 pods (Crushed)
Tomato-2 (Finely chopped)
Green Chillies-4-5 (crushed)
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Chilli powder-1-2 tsp (or as spicy as you need)
Coriander leaves-for garnish
· Pressure cook soaked dry peas for at least 10-15 minutes by adding salt and water (don’t add too much water because we are going to use the same water for cooking).
· Now heat oil in a pan.
· Add cumin seeds and wait till it changes it colour.
· Now add chopped onion, crushed garlic, crushed ginger and crushed green chillies.
· Fry till the raw smell goes off and onion becomes golden colour.
· Put chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and chilli powder into this.
· Cook till tomatoes are tender.
· Once tomatoes are cooked add boiled peas in this along with the water.
· Let it boil for 5-10 minutes in high medium heat.
· Switch off flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
· Serve hot with masala vadai, onion vadai or aloo bonda.