I love fenugreek leaves in any form but most lovable dish is methi parathas and I prepare this whenever I get chance. Since I stay in Chennai now where getting methi leaves are very rare. This time I prepared parathas with the little variation of original method. I used ragi flour for preparing methi paratha.Just have a look:-
Methi (Fenugreek leaves) partha in Ragi Flour
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serving: 6 persons
Ragi Flour-2 cups
Whole Wheat Flour-1 cups
Fenugreek (Methi) leaves-1 ½ cups
Onion-1 medium (Finely chopped)
Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp (Optional)
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Chili Powder-2 tsp
Dry Mango (Ammachur) powder-1 tsp or to taste
Oil or ghee- as required making parathas
· Clean and chop the fenugreek leaves.
· Wash the leaves properly and keep aside.
· Now heat 3 tsp oil in a pan.
· Add cumin seeds into it.
· Once cumin seeds change its color then add onion.
· Fry onion till it becomes transparent.
· Add ginger garlic paste (I have used only grated ginger here).
· Fry it till it leaves its raw smell.
· Then add all powder masala along with fenugreek leaves.
· Cook till leaves become tender and cooked well.
· Allow it to get cool down.
· Now take ragi and wheat flour in a big bowl.
· Add the cooked fenugreek leaves in this along with sufficient water to make soft dough.
· Keep it closed for 10-20 minutes.
· Knead the dough again.
· Make equal size of ball from the dough.
· Roll the balls, in the shape of circle, by dusting some flour on top, with the help of chapatti roller.
· Place them one by one on hot pan.
· Cook both side and add little oil to make soft parathas.
· Serve hot with raitha and any side dish you wish.
· Always cut the fenugreek leaves before wash then it will be not bitter in taste.
· Ginger garlic paste is option in this and if you want you can add only crushed garlic or grated ginger.
· If you want to make spicy parathas then add little green chutney in this.You can also use kasuri methi if you don’t have fresh methi leaves. Just soak kasuri methi in warm water for 15 minutes. Use in the same way like fresh leaves