Preparation of Rasam is compulsory in the regular routine of food at my home. From the younger one to eldest one, every one's requirement is rasam (Sarrumadhu in Iyengar language) at my home. We make variety of rasam and even the powder we use for this is made at home. One of the common rasam is podi rasam. I am posting the method of preparing this rasam powder today.
Preparation time: 20 minutes (Approximately)
Coriander Seeds – 1 cup
Dry Red Chilli – ¾ cup
Bengal gram Dal & Toor Dal – ½ cup
Pepper corn – ¼ cup
Cumin seeds – 1/8 cup
Curry leaf – ¼ cup
Turmeric stick – 2
Solid Asefotida – 2” piece
· Heat a pan.
· Dry roast all the ingredients except turmeric.
· Roast till you get very nice aroma of it.
· Allow it to get cool down.
· Break down turmeric stick in small pieces.
· Grind it to a coarse powder.
· Store in air tight container.