- Whole Black Gram Dal - 1 cup
- Idli Rava - 2 cup ( Idli rice can be used )
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tbs
- Salt - to taste
- Chopped Curry leaves - 1/8 cup
- Crushed pepper corn - 3 tbs ( can be adjust as spicy as you need)
- Crushed cumin seeds - 2 tbs
- Asafoetida - 1 tsp
- Curd - 1/2 cup
- Clarified butter or ghee - 1 full ladle
- Grated Ginger - 2 inch or dry ginger powder - 1 1/2 tbs
- Sesame oil - 2 tbs
- Wash and soak dal along with fenugreek seeds for 2-3 hrs.
- Wash and soak rice rava separately. ( if you are going to use idli rice then wash and soak with enough water separately.)
- After 2-3 hrs grind the dal coarsely in wet grinder or mixer.
- Mix the grind dal with idli rava along with salt. ( in case you are using idli rice then grind that too in grinder or mixer giving rava consistencyto it)
- Leave the batter overnight for fermentation.
- Next day mix all other ingredients nicely to the batter except sesame oil.
- Now heat a wide mouth vessel with 2 cups of water and bring to boil.
- While water comes to boil take coffee tumblers and grease it with sesame oil.
- Fill the tumblers with 3/4 th of batter in it.
- Once water start boiling,place the tumblers inside the vessel.
- Cover it with lid and steam it for 15-20 mins
- Remove the tumblers and allow it to get cool down
- Remove the idlies with the help of a spoon or knife.
- Serve it with your fav chutney or with Idli podi