Sakkara Pongal!!!!! Very delicious and famous dish of Tamil Nadu. Celebration of pongal is over but I still prepare this, at least once in a month, for my princess because she loves it.Histroy shows, that Iyengars prepare the best sakkara pongal, since Akkarvadhsal and sakkar pongal is their traditional dish. Being an iyengar daughter in law, I got the chance to learn this in the first year of my wedding. All first year festivals, after wedding, are called as Thalai festivals and my Tahali pongal was in Chennai, in my in laws house. It is a tradition that, the pongal should be prepared by new vadhu (Daughter in Law) for the festival since I was new to the dish, my mother in law was just standing next to me, and guiding me what to do and only because of her guidance now I can prepare hundred of south Indian food. I made this again for my daughter and thought of sharing the Iyengar recipe with everyone. Try this recipe, I guarantee this will give you excellent taste of south Indian Iyengar Pongal.
Preparation time: 10 minutes (Approximately)
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes (Approximately)
Serve – 6 persons
Whole Milk-11/2 litre
Rice-1cup (you can also use jeera rice (Dubraj) or Basmati)
Broken Cashew nut-4-5 tabs
Cardamom powder-1 tsp
Mace (Javitri) powder or Nutmeg (Jaifal)-a pinch
• Wash rice and keep aside.
• Take a heavy bottom pan (I don’t have here so I used pressure cooker without its lid)
• Add milk in this and put it on high flame.
• Once milk comes to boil then reduce flame and add washed rice in this.
• Keep steering till rice gets cooked.
• Meanwhile heat another pan and put 1 cup water along with jaggery in this.
• Keep steering till jaggery gets melted.
• Once jaggery melted then filters it and keep aside.
• Now come to milk and rice. Once rice is cooked completely (it should beome like soft cotton when you touch it) then add jaggery water in this and keep steering.
• Once pongal is thick enough then add ghee, cardamom powder and javitri powder.
• Mix well.
• Now in a pan heat 1 tsp ghee and fry all dry fruits till it is golden brown colour.
• Add this to pongal.
• Serve hot or cold.
• Remember to add jaggery water only when rice is cooked completely.
• While cooking pongal keep steering it or else it might get burn.
• For flavour you can also add eatable krapoor or saffron.