TAMARAIND AND TOMATO RASAM
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Tamarind – like a small lemon (soaked in warm water for ½ an hour.)
Rasam Powder-4 tsp
Cooked toor dal-1 cup
Salt- to taste
Asafoetida powder- 1 tsp (I used the solid one for best result)
Curry leaves-few for seasoning
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Slit Green Chillies-1
Split black gram dal-1 tsp
Coriander leaves-for garnishing.
· Put soaked tamarind and one tomato in mixer jar and make fine puree of it.
· Filter the puree in one cooking pan.
· Add salt to taste.
· Chopped the other tomato and put in the puree.
· Put the pan on gas stove and let it boil in low medium heat till the raw smell of tamarind goes off.
· Now add rasam powder and bring it to boil for another 2-3 minutes.
· Meanwhile mash toor dal properly and add 1 ½ cup water.
· Let it set for a while.
· Now put this dal water slowly from the little distance in boiling rasam.
· You will observe that after you add dal water, the top of pan will be full of forth.
· Allow it boil with few bubbles but remember it should not overflow.
· Now prepare for seasoning.
· Take a frying pan and add ghee in this.
· Wait till it is heated up.
· Add split broken black gram dal, mustard, cumin seeds, green chilli, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
· Once mustard and cumin are cracked then add it to rasam and close with a lid so it should have seasoning smell for long time.
· Serve with hot rice, samber and poriyal.